My Big Book of Projects Using Common Herbs & Flowers (Print Version!)
Last January, I asked for your help in deciding which eBook topic I should write about next. The answer was pretty clear, as you can see by the screenshot below!
In that very same month, an amazing thing happened. I received an email from a publishing company (Page Street Publishing) asking if I was interested in writing a book for traditional print. Not just any book, but a book that would be filled to the brim with full color photographs (my favorite kind!)
The whole idea felt a little crazy and beyond surreal.
Short background story: I actually got booted from high school honors English class because my teacher told me I didn’t have the talent for it. That kind of thing sticks with you, so I never, ever, ever, ever thought I’d write a book. EVER!
(In my teacher’s defense, I was a total slacker who liked reading, daydreaming and playing Super Mario World instead of doing homework.)
Once I determined the email was legitimate and not a joke from my brother or something, I allowed myself to get really excited. I was going to write a book!
Initially, the editors wanted to explore the idea of a soap making book. However, after showing them the data from the survey, they were more than happy to hear my ideas for the book that YOU asked for – a “big book of projects using common herbs and flowers from your yard and garden”. We reached an agreement, a contract was signed and I got to work.
Over the spring and summer, I spent the majority of each day gathering plants from my garden, making stuff, taking lots of pictures and working on THE BOOK. It completely took over our life and home. My husband was fond of saying that it looked like an herb garden exploded in our house.
We got a new kitty somewhere during the writing phase (because that’s a totally sane thing to do when you’re consumed with writing a book) and he would NOT stay out of my projects or off of the table – especially when there was catnip on there! :)
After a lot of plotting, mixing, brewing and stewing, I came up with 101 projects that I absolutely loved and thought you would too, such as:
Vanilla Rose Bath Melts
Violet Flower Sore Throat Syrup
Hollyhock Shampoo Bars
and so many more that I’ve wanted to share with you for so long, but couldn’t or I wouldn’t have anything to put in the book!
Finally, after several months, the writing was done!
Or, so I thought….
After you turn in your manuscript, there’s this thing called developmental edits. It’s where your manuscript that looked okay to you at first, gets completely covered in red marks and you realize that everything you wrote was horrible rubbish and you pretty much have to almost rewrite the whole book in just a few weeks. That part was painful, but so necessary to polish it up and turn it into something I could be proud of!
But then a final finally later, my part was done! This is a peek of the outside jacket (You can click on it for a closer look):
So, that’s the story of how my first print book came about. I’m happy and excited to also announce that it’s now available for pre-order!
You can find it at:
and wherever books are sold!