These lotion bars were designed for climbers and other actives who want to retain the calluses on their hands, while still keeping their skin healed and protected.
It’s my take after studying and trying out a few popular climbing bars (hard salves) on the market.
Unlike traditional lotion bars, you won’t find butter (shea, mango) in this recipe because butters can soften calluses – and in this case I didn’t want that.
Apricot kernel oil absorbs into skin quickly and is infused with calendula flowers and yarrow to help repair small cuts, cracks, and minor scrapes.
Tamanu oil is a fantastic skin repair oil and vitamin E adds an extra boost of healing.
I lightly scent these with a blend of cedarwood and lavender essential oils since that’s a scent combo my hubby and I both like, but you could leave them unscented or scent differently if you prefer.
Yield: three 0.75-ounce (22 g) lotion bars
- ¼ cup + 1 ½ tbsp (43 g) beeswax pastilles, packed
- ¼ cup (49 g) calendula and yarrow infused apricot kernel oil (see 10 Things to Make with Calendula for how to infuse the oil)
- 1 tsp (4 g) tamanu oil
- 1 vitamin E gel capsule, or 0.5 g vitamin E oil
- 25 drops lavender essential oil, optional
- 30 drops cedarwood Himalayan essential oil, optional
Directions to Make
- In a half-pint (250-ml) jar, combine the beeswax, infused oil, and tamanu oil.
- Place the jar in a saucepan containing a few inches of water, forming a makeshift double boiler.
- Heat over medium-low heat until the beeswax is melted.
- Remove the container from the heat and stir in the contents of the vitamin E capsule, or vitamin E oil.
- Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the essential oils, if using.
- Pour into silicone or plastic molds. Chill the lotion bars in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, or until solid.
Store in tins or wide mouth jars.
To use: Rub a bar over your hands at night. It will have a harder and slightly tackier feel than traditional lotion bars and will leave behind a protective layer that sinks into your skin as you sleep.
Tip: Want a harder bar? Melt it down and add a pinch more wax. Want a softer texture? Melt it down and add more oil. Lotion bars are easy to tweak!
HERBAL SALVES & BALMS
Subscribe to Things to Make Thursdays and receive:
- Build Your Own Salve eGuide
- 18 Herbs & Flowers for Salves Chart
- Salve Building Printable Worksheet
- A Weekly Email with Natural Project Ideas