These easy DIY bug bite sticks relieve the itchiness of pesky bug bites and are perfect for outdoor enthusiasts on the go!
There are several herb or flower choices you could use in these, including:
- lavender flowers
- lavender leaves
- calendula flowers
- plantain leaves
- violet leaves
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (or your favorite oil type)
- 1/4 cup dried herbal leaves or flowers, crumbled
- 1 tbsp tightly packed beeswax (about 9 g by weight)
- few drops of lavender essential oil
Directions to make bug bite sticks:
- Place the dried flowers or herbs in a glass canning jar.
- Pour the oil over the herbs and stir a few times to release air bubbles.
- To infuse the slow way, cover with a lid and allow to infuse for at least 3 to 4 weeks before straining.
- To infuse the fast way, set the uncovered jar in a small saucepan containing a few inches of water. Heat over a low burner for about 2 hours. Strain.
- In a heatproof jar or container, combine 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of the infused oil with the beeswax.
- Set the jar into a saucepan with a few inches of water in it, forming a makeshift double boiler.
- Heat over medium-low heat until the beeswax is completely melted.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lavender essential oil, and pour into lip balm tubes.
Depending on the weather and how you measured your beeswax, you may find the consistency is too soft or too firm for your tastes. If that happens, just melt everything down and add more beeswax for a firmer product, or more oil for a softer texture.
To use bug bite sticks, dab on bee stings, bug bites, or other itchy spots as needed.
If you enjoyed learning to make these easy DIY Bug Bite Itchy Sticks, let’s stay in touch!
Subscribe to my newsletter and receive my latest natural soap ideas, herbal projects & DIY body care recipes sent straight to your inbox two to four times per month!
You may also like:
If you like the projects on my site, you’ll love my book, 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home!
Buy it today at the following places!
and wherever books are sold.