This Ginger Lemon Honey Tonic is one of the easiest, tastiest cold and flu remedies around!
Raw honey helps fight infection and soothes inflamed tissue; lemons are full of healthful vitamin C and antioxidants (plus, they taste great!); and fresh ginger root helps fight the sore throat, cough, lung congestion, chills and stomach-ache that often accompanies the flu.
Everything you need to make this remedy can be purchased at your local grocery store:
- Honey (raw is best, but use what’s available to you)
- Fresh Lemons
- Fresh Ginger Root
Directions to make:
- Slice lemon thinly, remove seeds.
- Cut a one inch piece of fresh ginger root into several small slices.
- Pour a small bit of honey in the bottom of a jar.
- Add a lemon slice, then one or two chunks of ginger.
- Pour a layer of honey to cover then add more lemon and ginger.
- Repeat layers until you near the top of the jar. Finish off with a thick layer of honey.
- Cap with a plastic top (or layer of plastic wrap between metal lid and jar) to prevent corrosion.
Directions for use:
- Take by the spoonful as needed for sore throats, coughs, colds and flu symptoms.
- You can also stir into hot tea, water, or lemonade.
- Store in your refrigerator for around a month. For longer preservation, stir in 3 to 4 tablespoons vodka or brandy per cup of syrup.
- Honey should never be given to children under 1 year old.
- If you are on blood thinners, pregnant, nursing or have other concerns – do not use without consulting a doctor first.