This Ginger Lemon Honey Tonic is one of the easiest, tastiest cold and flu remedies around!
Raw honey helps fight infection and soothes inflamed tissue; lemons are full of healthful vitamin C and antioxidants (plus, they taste great!); and fresh ginger root helps fight the sore throat, cough, lung congestion, chills and stomach-ache that often accompanies the flu.
Everything you need to make this remedy can be purchased at your local grocery store:
- Honey (raw is best, but use what’s available to you)
- Fresh Lemons
- Fresh Ginger Root
Directions to make:
- Slice lemon thinly, remove seeds.
- Cut a one inch piece of fresh ginger root into several small slices.
- Pour a small bit of honey in the bottom of a jar.
- Add a lemon slice, then one or two chunks of ginger.
- Pour a layer of honey to cover then add more lemon and ginger.
- Repeat layers until you near the top of the jar. Finish off with a thick layer of honey.
- Cap with a plastic top (or layer of plastic wrap between metal lid and jar) to prevent corrosion.
Directions for use:
- Take by the spoonful as needed for sore throats, coughs, colds and flu symptoms.
- You can also stir into hot tea, water, or lemonade.
- Store in your refrigerator for around a month. For longer preservation, stir in 3 to 4 tablespoons vodka or brandy per cup of syrup.
- Honey should never be given to children under 1 year old.
- If you are on blood thinners, pregnant, nursing or have other concerns – do not use without consulting a doctor first.
Want more natural home remedies like this one? Be sure to sign up HERE for my newsletter, so you can get my latest soap ideas, herbal projects and other DIY recipes sent straight to your inbox each month!
If you like the projects on my site, you’ll love my book – 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home!
You can find it at the following places:
and wherever books are sold!