This rich face cream contains an assortment of flowers and herbs, along with precious blue chamomile essential oil – which contains a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, chamazulene.
It’s most suited for dry and/or mature skin types.
Before starting, make sure to sterilize all utensils, bowls, beaters, and jars – I use the sanitize cycle on my dishwasher.
Because this cream contains herbal teas, the shelf life will be much shorter compared to store-bought creams. If you store this cream in the refrigerator between uses, it should stay fresh for around 1 week.
To ensure a much longer shelf life, I like to add a nature-derived preservative (more on that below.)
First you’ll want to gather some of the following herbs to create an infusion, remembering you can substitute ingredients or change the amounts or use dry/fresh depending on what you have on hand. I like growing as many of these as I can, but for ones I don’t/can’t, I like to buy from Mountain Rose Herbs. You’ll want a teaspoon or so of each (dried) or a generous pinch of each (fresh). Some herbs that work well in this cream:
- lavender buds
- calendula flowers
- comfrey leaves
- lemon balm leaves
- rose petals
- violet leaves
Place these items in a mason jar and pour simmering hot distilled water over them. Immediately cover with a saucer to retain the vapors. Let this steep while you gather and prepare the rest of the ingredients. I find that about 45 minutes to an hour is a sufficient time to get the benefits, without too strong of a scent, but you can steep this overnight if you wish.
Place the following in a heat-proof measuring cup with ounce markings:
Add 1 1/2 ounces of shea butter. (You can add chunks of it into the liquid oil until it is pushed up to the 4 1/2 ounce mark if you don’t have a scale.)
Next add 1/2 ounce beeswax pastilles (again, add until liquid oil is pushed up to 5 ounce mark on measuring cup if you don’t have a scale) and 2 Tablespoons of stearic acid.
Set the heat-proof measuring cup with all of these in it into a pan of almost simmering water until melted.
Remove from the pan and let cool to body temperature. (Test with clean finger.) While the oil is cooling, strain the herbal infusion into a heat proof glass and set it down in the pot of water that has been removed from heat. This helps it warm up to body temperature.
Pour 4 ounces of the slightly warmed herbal infused water slowly into the oil while beating with an electric mixer. Mix on highest speed for about 15 minutes, adding the following essential oils during the last 30 seconds or so:
- 2 to 6 drops of Bergamot (optional – for scent only; also avoid this oil if you will be using as a day cream since bergamot can make your skin more sensitive to the sun)
- 15 drops Balsam Peru
- 15 drops Lavender (add a bit more for stronger scent if desired)
- 4 to 8 drops Ylang Ylang (optional – for scent only, add more or less as desired)
- 5 drops Carrot Seed
- 20 drops Blue Chamomile
I buy high quality essential oils for facial care products at Mountain Rose Herbs.
The cream will start to emulsify after about five minutes, but will still be runny – keep beating! By ten minutes, it will look nice and thick, but still drop off of a spoon. You will need to beat another five minutes and by then you should have a nice, thick cream that stays on the spoon even when you turn it upside down. NOW, it’s ready!
Spoon into jars leaving as little air space as possible and cap tightly.
* If you don’t add a preservative, store this cream in the refrigerator and use within 1 to 2 weeks. To make it last longer though, try adding a nature-derived preservative.
In this cream, I used Natapres (made from a radish root ferment filtrate with honeysuckle and aspen bark extracts) at a rate of 2%. To figure the amount needed, add up the weight of the ingredients – which are 267 grams in this recipe – then multiply by 2% (.02) to get 5.24 grams needed, which I would just round to 5 grams of NataPres for this recipe. I also like Leucidal SF Max (at 4%) combined with AMTicide Coconut (at 2%) for a stronger preservative combination. You can find these types of preservatives at Lotion Crafter or Formulator Sample Shop.
This cream is best suited for dry or mature skin. (If you have oily skin or want something lighter, try Basil Anti-Aging Face Cream.) When you first put this cream on, it seems a little thick – just rub it in and give it a few minutes. It will soak it and leave your skin so smooth and soft. This is definitely one of my most loved items!
LEARN TO MAKE
ALL NATURAL BODY BUTTERS
Subscribe to my newsletter & receive a free guide to making homemade body butters!
- Learn the basics of making body butters that are light, fluffy, and non-greasy.
- How to choose oils, butters, herbs & essential oils, for your creations
- Tips and troubleshooting advice.
No spam ever – unsubscribe at any time!